Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Regulations Gazetted
What is Lightcycle SA
Lightcycle SA is a not for profit organisation, committed to delivering cost-effective compliance on behalf of our Producer Members.
Lightcycle SA represents all producers of the lighting sector industry who have a Producer responsibility under the published EPR regulations 2020 to organise and finance the environmental management of their products at their end of life.
Lightcycle SA has been operational since 2018 and has been the scheme of choice for lighting Producers in South Africa across all sectors.
Extended Producer Responsibility applies to the following identified products or class of products:
(a) Lighting products: Different types of Lighting equipment include, but are not limited to:
(i) Gas Discharge Lighting;
– low pressure discharge Lighting: fluorescent (compact, linear and non- linear and
nonfluorescent (low pressure sodium, low pressure mercury vapour);
– high intensity discharge Lighting: high pressure sodium, low pressure sodium,
metal halide, high pressure mercury vapour, xenon;
– Lighting for special purposes;
(ii) All Light emitting diode (LED) lighting sources and types;
(iii) Signal/signage lighting as well as associated equipment;
(iv) Luminaires and lighting equipment fixtures or modules or associated electrical
(v) Laser, Pixel and ultraviolet irradiation (UVI) or ultraviolet germicidal irradiation
(vi) Automotive lighting and luminaires;
(vii) Incandescent (filament) light bulbs and Halogen; and
(viii) Off grid solar powered lighting.
- Develop and submit an extended producer responsibility scheme according to the Extended Producer Responsibility Regulations 2020
- Establish a producer responsibility organisation who must develop and submit an extended producer responsibility scheme according to Extended Producer Responsibility Regulations 2020 to the Department.
Lightcycle SA, as an existing registered PRO, will in consultation with Producers, develop and submit an Industry compliant scheme on their behalf.
Any producers requiring more information can contact Lightcycle SA via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to see the full EPR regulations, and sector notice regulation pertaining to the lighting sector.